A Brohams Guide To The World

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snap Judgments

So on Tuesday I had the pleasure of experiencing the joys of the interview process, and I just dont get it. I mean in my life I decide whether or not I like someone and want someone to continue to talk to me in no more than 5 minutes. If I had an entire resume in front of me that time would be cut in half. So what takes so long in an interview? Do they decide as quickly as me or do they try an keep an open mind? Are they just being polite and dragging the interview on longer to make it seem like they havent already decided? Why not conduct an interview like you would if you met someone at a bar? You ask a couple quick questions and then pull the old 'well...I really got to go to the bathroom, or hold that thought I want to grad a drink.' When I was teaching in New Bedford we would determine who was getting offers to teach the next year and I would make up my decision before morning assembly. But we never just sent the kid home. But why waste their time. "Listen kid you suck, youre a tool, and there is no way in hell that I would want to spend every day working with you, so Ill save you an entire day of awkward conversations and just tell you now to hit the road." Or; "Youre legit, you seem like good people and lets be honest anything you need to know you'll learn on the job, so you can stay for the rest of the day or just take off and we'll see you on your first day."
The other thing I dont get is the fact that you leave without any answer to the job. I understand that the people that interview dont have authority and there is a process but shouldnt there be some brutal honesty that takes place Biz style. At the the end of the process just let the person know, "you got no shot cause you suck, and seem like a real d-bag" or "you crack my shit up and seem like a perfect fit." I dont know I just think there needs to be a little honesty taking place during the interview and everyone would have to spend less time feeling like an asshole in a suit talking about shit that they dont care about just so that they can get paid.

No comments: